When I started working on the Subversion project (again) back in August 2008, I wanted to do something that was interesting, technically challenging, and important to the project. For many years, the developers had been complaining about the "working copy" (WC) library. This library was one of the first that we worked on back in June 2000, and had grown (ahem) "organically" over the following eight years. By "organically", I mean it had become a rat's nest of brittle code. Hard to work with, not fun to modify, and difficult as hell to build new features reliably. Over such a lengthy time frame, most actively-developed code tends to end up like this, unless you work real hard against it.
In 2000, we didn't even know all the requirements for the library. Nobody had ever done versioning for directories. Just files. In fact, I think that Subversion may (still) be the only version control system (VCS) out there which treats a directory as a first-class object. It is a very difficult problem, along with being able to work with only pieces of your repository (which leads to "mixed-revision" working copies; something that distributed VCS systems like Git and Mercurial don't have to deal with, much to their enjoyment!).
So we started the library and figured things out as we went. Then it was too slow, so we added stuff to make it work faster. Then we added more features. And revamped some stuff to make it go faster again. More features. And even more.
By this time, the library had become brittle. Adding a feature usually broke something else. There were too many considerations, and internal layering/hiding was not present. Everything could, and did, manipulate a public structure (called svn_wc_entry_t). If you didn't do it right, then something broke. And there was some very deep and hard to understand relationships in the handling of data in that structure. Forward progress was being stifled.
The developers had been talking about fixing the WC library for years, but most of them had other priorities. I had no such baggage, and the WC problem had everything I was looking for: interesting problems to fix, challenging to accomplish, and very important to Subversion's future. Some people had already written up some thoughts on a next generation of the WC library, calling it "WC-NG". After I started digging in, and some other developers joined, the project took on the WC-NG title in earnest and in day-to-day use.
WC-NG is Subversion's name for an entirely new working copy library. We have a new design, and we're incrementally rebuilding the library towards this new design. Due to stringent backwards-compatibility requirements, and the complexity of the system, we cannot simply "rewrite from scratch". This effort is the current focus of our upcoming 1.7 release, and it will provide a Subversion client that will be vastly faster, much more robust and capable, and provide a solid foundation for new features.
In future posts, I'll provide some more detail about WC-NG's design (and how the original WC was broken). I also want to talk about a couple of these new features that will be implemented upon this new foundation. Stay tuned!